Seafood Pasta in Savoury Tomato Sauce

Click play for the step by instructions or read on...



This morning when I began thinking about what I should take out of the freezer for dinner it occurred to me I hadn't been to the grocery in awhile.

Further inspection into the empty cavern that was once a full freezer confirmed this.

I had two boneless pork loin chops, a quarter bag of tiger prawns, and four Alaskan King crab legs left over from a seafood feast a few weekend ago.

In other words, dinner wasn't looking promising.

But I've been so busy workwise, the last thing I felt like doing this afternoon was hit the grocery store - especially since my trusty sidekick, Max the adorably cute miniature schnauzer, would be with me after a long day at doggie daycare.

Two words people: Judge not.

So on my way home from the office I began conjuring...

What could I make?
What flavours might go nicely together?
And most importantly, what did I feel like eating?

As mentioned in my last blog, Fresh Sole Topped with Olive Infused Salsa Cruda, I have an abundance of end of the summer tomatoes that need some attention.

So I began thinking about tomato flavours infused with the King Crab and Prawns.

Mmmmmmm.....



I began to salivate as I drove.

When I arrived home, I set a pot of salted water onto the stove to boil and added the crab legs...

















When they had reached a nice boil, I added my 1/4 bag of tiger prawns to the water and let the whole thing cook for about a minute until everythinhg turned nice and pink.

















I set that aside to cool, and then I began my sauce by sauteeing four cloves of chopped garlic in 2 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil...

Sautee over medium high heat stirring constantly just until you begin to smell the garlic.

Then take 3-4 fresh ripe diced tomatoes

There are more health benefits derived from eating a tomato than ever imagined proving benefits in preventing cancer, heart disease and high cholesterol.


Continue to saute over medium heat until the tomatoes soften and break down. (about five minutes)

















To that I added one large can of good quality tomatoes, 1 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp black pepper, 1 tsp Italian seasoning, 2 bay leaves, 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar, hot sauce to taste, and 1/3 cup dry white wine.

Turn to medium low and let gently simmer for about an hour until the sauce reduces and thickens.

















Using a pair of kitchen scissors, remove the shells from your king crab, and then shell your prawns.

















Set aside.

When the sauce is at a desired consistency, cook your pasta in boling well salted water just until al dente.

Add your seafood to the sauce during the last five minutes of cooking.

















Add 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts, freshly grated parmesan, and chopped parsley.

Spoon over pasta - preferably fresh or homemade fettucini - I served mine over middle of the road shell pasta and and know the entire dish would have been better over fresh.

Don't get me wrong, though, it was still damn good for a Monday :-)

















For printable recipe click HERE

 

 Subscribe to me on YouTube

Bring the daily magic of The Kitchen Witch straight to your inbox every time a new one is written.


Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner

Or you can subscribe by rss feed...


Subscribe in a reader

Comments

  1. Looks fantastic. I have tomatoes coming out of everywhere too!
    cin

    ReplyDelete
  2. The problem with me is that I'm all canned out. I have all this stuff and no time or energy to something with it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You made the most delicious meal seemingly from nothing! Some of the best meals can come from just using what you have on hand! Tomatoes are still coming out of my garden at a steady if not crazy pace too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Reeni :-) It's so true, I'm learning more and more the fuin we can all have being creative in the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would say that is a damn fine feast for a Monday, indeed! Great innovative use of the crab too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks beautiful! Sometimes these meals on the fly turn out to be the best!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks you two :-)

    I am honoured you both popped by!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment