Wild Rice Casserole

The following recipe for Wild Rice casserole has been in my family since I was a child.

















My parents made it on special occasions when company came over and it has always been one of my favourite dishes - one I associate with good times and warm happy memories.

Best of all, it's not only a crowd pleaser that is really, really delicious, it can also be made ahead.

My entertaining style to do as much prep work ahead of time as I possibly can, makes this one of my favourite things to serve when I have a dinner party.

And it's the perfect addition to my Autumn Inspired Dinner Party menu.

Click here for PRINTABLE RECIPE

To begin...

Rinse one cup wild rice then bring to a boil in three cups salted water. Boil hard 7 minutes and then remove from heat. Let soak covered for one hour.




















Drain water and pour in one small can consomee. Bring to a boil and then return to low. Cover and let steam and seep for about 30 minutes.


















Meanwhile, dice:

1/2 pound bacon and let crisp in pan




















Add:
2 chopped onions
3 stalks celery
1 finely chopped green pepper
10 sliced mushrooms

Cook in bacon fat until tender.


















Drain fat.

Mix with rice and then add:

1 tin cream of mushroom soup
1/4 tsp pepper
a half cup of toasted sliver almonds.




















Bake in a 350 oven app 30 minutes until warmed through.

If making ahead. Bring casserole to room temperature and re-heat for 30 minutes at 350.

The perfect accompaniment to Roast Chicken with Rosemary and Apples on a cool fall evening.



Linking up with...



***

Bring the daily magic of The Kitchen Witch straight to your inbox every time a new one is written.


Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner



Or you can subscribe by rss feed...


Subscribe in a reader

Comments