Christmas Baking: Ricotta Snowball Cakes

I've been doing quite a bit of Christmas baking this year - which is a nice change from the holidays last year where I did all of of my "baking" at the Superstore.

I hadn't even thought about why that was until last weekend when I was baking the misfit rugelach.

It occurred to me I was still grieving the loss of our family dog Ziggy earlier in the fall and had made an unconscious decision not to do a lot for Christmas.

This is interesting to me on many levels because it's not my usual M.O.

I am the type of person who usually throws myself into activities to keep me busy when I'm feeling stressed or depressed.

But I guess when it comes to the big things like grief, I actually have the good sense to slow myself down and take the pressure off.

This is a relief.

With new life - aka our puppy Max - comes new hope, though, and it's nice this year to be in the June Cleaveresque headspace I'm in.


















My preferred state of mind for the holidays.

So far I've baked the rugelach, chocolate fudge, peanut butter cup cookies (recipe tomorrow) and the following wonderfully fluffy and luscious little tea cakes with glorious cream cheese frosting.


















Sprinkled with a little edible silver glitter they look almost angelic and would be a heavenly addition to anyone's Christmas baking.

Serve on a snowy winter day with a steaming pot of Earl Gray tea.

Ricotta Snowball Cakes
For printable recipe click HERE

Ingredients
  • 1/2cup cup unsalted butter, softened
  • 1cup cup granulated sugar
  • 1egg
  • 1 cup cup ricotta cheese
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 tsp tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp baking powder
Icing:
  • 1/2 cup cream cheese, softened
  • 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
  • 1-1/2 cups icing sugar
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla
  • Edible Silver flakes or drages
Directions:
  1. In large bowl, beat butter with sugar until fluffy; beat in egg, ricotta and vanilla, beating well after each.
  2. In separate bowl, whisk together flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder; stir into ricotta mixture.
  3. Drop by generous 1 tbsp (15 mL) onto parchment paper–lined rimless baking sheets. Bake in 350°F (180°C) oven until bottoms are golden, 12 to 14 minutes. Transfer to racks and let cool.
Icing:
  1. In bowl, beat cream cheese with butter.
  2. Beat in icing sugar until creamy; beat in vanilla.
  3. Divide into thirds; spread over tops of cookies. Refrigerate until icing is firm, about 30 minutes. (Make-ahead: Refrigerate in airtight container for up to 2 days or freeze for up to one month)
  4. Sprinkle with silver
Merry Christmas everyone!


Comments

  1. How pretty! They look like little angel cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love ricotta so these sound amazing! I know we met when Ziggy and my Angus passed....and now you have Max and I have Hazel. (five months, half shepherd, half rotweiller) Life is so painful....but then there are new days, new friends, & cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. June, these look divine! Now your house smells as good as it looks! I need to channel my inner June Clever and get baking!

    Sorry about your dog. Our dog is 14 1/4 years old and my daughter who just turned 16 doesn't know life without him. I am not looking forward to that! I might be calling on you to help us through it when the time comes. Have you posted pics of you dogs? I'll have to check it out!

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love tea cakes and your tea cakes are just beautiful. Thank you for sharing and you have a very Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. YUUUMMMM!! AND they LOOK so adorable too! Thanks! XOXO, P

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment