Cooking for Two: Roasted Chicken Breasts Stuffed with Spinach and Prawns with Mushroom Sauce

Life is filled with so many dips and turns, changes, and upheavals it's sometimes difficult to keep track.

And with each change, the opportunity to re-invent and re-define ourselves.

One of life's little known secrets is that we will each have the occasion to experience new versions of who we are; for most of us this will occur many times over.

I am currently in such transit.

After having defined myself as "mom" in its many incarnations: "mommy of toddler," "science fair guru," "soccer mom," and most recently "mother of a teenage boy," it is an odd transition to find myself, now, as "mother of an adult child."

Especially in the arena of groceries and cooking.

I have been so used to shopping and cooking for a hungry teenager and his multitude of friends, that I'm just now getting the hang of not having to buy bulk.

I also have to adjust my recipes because I no longer need to cook things that serve 6 or 8.

So last night I came up with one of my first "dinners for two."

I had boneless skinless chicken breasts, spinach, prawns, and mushrooms kicking around and began to conceptualize a dish using these elements - perhaps stuffing the chicken breasts with the spinach and prawns and then making a mushroom sauce to drizzle over.

Not only is this dish straight forward and easy to put together, it's absolutely delicious and one of the rare meals I would deem as "Book club worthy" meaning it was good enough to serve to the food savvy members of my book group.

High praise indeed.

***

As I move forward and turn the page on an already written chapter of my own life's book, I do so with gratitude.

I have raised a son.

A human being of worth and integrity who is out in the world making his own difference; and though my days as mommy have reached an end, I'm excited about the many adventures still to come.

Connected to that, I take great pleasure in the fun of playing "mad scientist" in the kitchen coming up with new dishes and flavours to share with all of you.

I hope you enjoy...

Roasted Chicken Breasts Stuffed with Spinach and Prawns
For printable recipe click HERE
















Ingredients - Stuffing
  • 1/2 package frozen spinach, thawed
  • 6 cooked prawns cut into bite size pieces
  • 2 Tbsp cream cheese
  • Zest and juice of half a lemon
  • 1 Tbsp chopped fresh chives or the green part of 1scallion chopped
  • 2 cloves minced garlic
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp pepper
Mix the above ingredients together starting with the cream cheese, lemon juice, garlic, and chives and then add the next ingredients one by one. Set aside.

For the chicken...

Pound 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts until they are thin and easy to roll. Brush on either side with extra virgin olive oil. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and thyme (about 1/8 to 1/4 tsp each)

Place an equal amount of stuffing on each breast and then fold together using toothpicks to hold them together.

Heat one Tbsp extra virgin olive oil in a large non-stick skillet and sear the chicken on either side

















Until golden brown

















Place chicken breasts on a cookie sheet sprayed with PAM and bake in a 350 oven for 40 minutes.

















For the Mushroom Sauce

Ingredients
  • 6-8 button mushrooms, sliced thin
  • 2 cloves minced garlic
  • 2 Tbsp butter
  • 1 Tbsp flour
  • 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
  • 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
  • 1/2 tsp thyme
Directions
  1. Saute the mushrooms in the same pan and oil the chicken was browned in. Saute until golden and the mushrooms begin to lose their water.
  2. Add the butter to pan and melt
  3. Add the garlic and stir just until it sizzles
  4. Add the flour and stir to form a roux
  5. Add the stock, vinegar, and seasoning. Stir to let thicken, and keep warm to serve over chicken.


Comments

  1. I think I'll try this! Sounds amazing. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LYNDS...

    OMGOODNESS!

    ONE SMALL SENTENCE...

    "I HAVE RAISED A SON."

    G---U---L---P!

    PASS THE TISSUES, PLZ!

    OH, THAT JUST HIT ME WHERE I LIVE!

    BLESS YER SWEET, PEA PICKIN' HEART, AS THE SAYING GOES DOWN HERE IN MY NECK OF THE WOODS.

    KEEP THIS ONE HANDY 4 WHEN I'M UP AND WALKING, I'D LOVE 2 MAKE THIS 4 MY BRUDDER OR EVEN JUST 4 MYSELF...

    SUPPER ONE NIGHT, LUNCH THE NEXT DAY!

    VOILA!

    U TOTALLY ROCK, HUN!

    SO JUST 4 U, A LOUD AND HEARTY...

    "T-----O-----W-----A-----N-----D-----A"

    LUBZ-N-HUGZ,

    ~ERIN~

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE the sound of these ingredients mixing together for a tasty meal for two. I had been looking forward to this recipe since you first mentioned it on FB.

    Your recipes are like MAGIC:) and cooking for two is where we are here in this house!

    Jane from SW Ohio

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those Chicken Breast look amazing...how special. I am going to make these for a special dinner for my husband. Thank you for sharing and you have a great day!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment