Poached Salmon in Lemon Butter Sauce with Sauteed Winter Vegetables

I had every intention of making tonight's dinner SUPER healthy - even going so far as to tweet my intentions of poached salmon and salad as this evening's culinary fare.

But as the day went on and my stressful life kept on keepin on, the thought of butter in my poaching liquid began to intrude on my otherwise pristine sodium and fat free thoughts.

Determined to take the dog for an extra half hour walk/jog after dinner, I decided to to let the good times roll and came up with a recipe for poached salmon that was just delicious. The butter sauce was infused with white wine, lemon, fresh garlic, and tarragon and it gave the salmon the most beautiful depth of flavour in a short period of time.

As delicious as it all turned out, this was also an incredibly straight forward and easy meal to put together.

In total, it only took about 30 minutes to put together from start to finish.

















I served it with fluffy horseradish mashed potatoes whisked with fresh chives and a medley of sauteed winter vegetables.

















Butter notwithstanding, I cook with salmon a lot and usually try to serve it once or twice a week - not only because I love it, but because the health benefits are beyond compelling.

Loaded with omega 3 fatty acids, eating salmon on a regular basis is linked to increased heart health, lower blood pressure, luminous skin. and better vision.

If you're looking for a quick and easy weeknight meal that is full of flavour, I hope you'll consider trying this one.

Poached Salmon with Lemon Butter Sauce
For printable recipe click HERE




Ingredients
  • 4 salmon filets
  • 3 Tbsp butter
  • 2 Tbsp white wine
  • The zest and juice of one whole lemon
  • 1 clove minced garlic
  • 1/2 cup chicken stock
  • 1/2 tsp tarragon
  • sea salt and fresh crack black pepper

Directions
  1. Sprinkle salmon filets with salt and pepper, set aside
  2. In a large, heavy bottomed skillet, bring all ingredients to a gentle simmer but do not boil.
  3. Add the salmon to the pan skin side down and continue to simmer for five minutes. Turn salmon and simmer for 3- 5 minutes more until fish is opaque and internal temperature reaches 160 f. Remove the skin from your salmon at this point if you wish.
  4. Serve with sauce spooned over and sprinkle with fresh parsley.

Author:

Lyndsay Wells is a professional trainer, writer, and program developer with a passion for food and cooking. She is an award winning recipe developer, and a website ambassador for Kraft Foods Canada. Lyndsay believes cooking should be approachable and easy and has great tips and ideas for putting together sophisticated looking dishes that cooks of all levels can accomplish.

Visit her daily on her blog, The Kitchen Witch or on her YouTube Channel, CHARMED With The Kitchen Witch.

Facebook Twitter YouTube


    Comments

    1. Lyndsay, I've eaten poached salmon twice in the last couple of weeks. I adore salmon and try to eat it at least once a week. The lemon butter sounds fabulous and you remind me that I haven't had horseradish mashed potatoes in ages. Love them! Have a great weekend my friend!!

      ReplyDelete
    2. LYNDS,

      I SO WISHED I LIKED FISH...

      U HAVE SO MANY GREAT SOUNDING RECIPES 4 THEM ALL.

      I ONLY REALLY EAT TUNA SALAD OR COD WITH TARTER SAUCE.

      I'VE HAD SO MANY BAD FISH EXPERIENCES, I'M JUST FLAT OUT AFRAID TO TRY ANYTHING NEW.

      BUT I FAITHFULLY CHEER U ON 4 YER INGENUITY AND SHEER GENIUS IN THE KITCHEN.

      U R A MASTER CHEF, MY DEAR FRIEND!

      TOWANDA!

      ReplyDelete
    3. I LOOOVE salmon and would eat it all the time but Joe hates it! SO, I get it when I go out. My favorite is a baked salmon salad! YUMMMMMM. XO, Pinky

      ReplyDelete

    Post a Comment