The Real Women of Philadelphia, Becoming a Food Superstahhh, and Oven Fried Catfish

The title was quite a mouthful, I know - but I'm writing from a place of such absolute excitement and bliss, I don't care.

This because my famous last words: "Look out Food TV - this Maven has only just begun" from the blog "My Stacked Bowls - A Recipe to Riches Exclusive" have proven true!

And I am once again at the ready to embark on another food related adventure - this time with Philadelphia Cream Cheese!


















I know!

The best part being, I am a long time user of Philly products, and I'm rarin to go - ready to come up with all kinds of new and exciting recipes.

And now that I'm everyone's favourite Determined Dieter, it's even more fun because I have the opportunity to use these products in ways that are light and healthy.

To learn more about the contest, and to enter a FABULOUS giveaway, go over to my friend Brenda's blog Brenda's Canadian Kitchen and check it out. While you're there, leave a comment as to how you like to use Philly Cream Cheese to enter the giveaway and then make sure to follow or subscribe.

You won't be sorry - Brenda always has great recipes - although be forewarned, you will leave most days licking your lips and hungry for more.

And me, well I've already come up with my first entree - Go Big or Go Home people - we had it last night and it has recieved the Poolboy (aka The Man I Married's) seal of approval.

But I can't post it just yet... you have to wait for the contest where you will see me live - cooking, and stirring - in the white spandex track suit no less.

In the meantime, I'm going to share a favourite recipe from Cooking Light for Oven Fried Catfish.

We had this for dinner Sunday night and absolutely loved it. Don't let the simplicity of the ingredients or the hot sauce scare you - we were blown away by how well this came together and how crunchy the coating was. You could use any firm white fish for this recipe - and do use the full amount of hot sauce (Louisiana is best) because it just makes this dish.

You'll have to forgive the absence of a photograph for this one - in a spate of organization, I erased the photo from my hard drive. Trust me, though, it's really, really good!

Oven Fried Catfish
Calories: 296, fat: 8.8 grams
For printable recipe click HERE

Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup light beer (I used non-alcoholic beer because we had some kicking around from Christmas)
  • 1/2 cup hot sauce
  • 4 (6-ounce) farm-raised catfish fillets or other firm white fish
  • 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
  • 2 tablespoons cornstarch (I was out so I used flour - it was fine)
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
  • Cooking spray
Directions
  1. Combine first 3 ingredients in a large zip-top plastic bag; seal and marinate in refrigerator 30 minutes. Remove fish from bag; pat dry with paper towels. Discard marinade.
  2. Preheat oven to 450°.Combine cornmeal, cornstarch, salt, and pepper in a shallow dish. Dredge fish in cornmeal mixture.
  3. Lightly coat fish with cooking spray. Place fish on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray, and bake at 450° for 15 minutes or until the fish flakes easily when tested with a fork.
Happy cooking everyone!



    Comments

    1. Lyndsay, thank you so much for the shout out! Loved your post, lol. I love your enthusiasm, I can't wait to see you in action. :o) You also reminded me how much I love catfish. Why don't I ever make it? Can't wait to see you become one of Canada's next food superstahhhhs!

      ReplyDelete
    2. Brenda, it's you I should be thanking! I am super excited to be participating in this and it means a lot that you thought of me and let me know about it.

      Huge SMOOCHES!
      xoxoxo

      ReplyDelete
    3. I love to cook with Philadelphia cream cheese and will check that out - have a great recipe with Philly and chicken. My Bayou friend will appreciate that catfish recipe!

      ReplyDelete
    4. Wait a minute...
      You mean you are supposed to do something with Philly cream cheese besides put it on a spoon?
      ~That Weather Girl

      ReplyDelete

    Post a Comment