Crispy Salmon Hash or Patties

Yesterday was a doozy.

I don't know what it is about May and early June, but these are the two months that seem to be the busiest for me. And when life gets busy, it can be difficult to resist stopping on the way home from work for an unhealthy indulgence, and zone out in front of the TV.

While I'm all for a good zone out, the fact that I'm wearing jeans I haven't been able to get into for the last seven years reminds me that devoting a little time after work to creating a healthy meal and getting some exercise is well worth the sacrifice - and so I dutifully stopped at the farmer's market instead of Luigi's on my way home.

But what to have?

Here's where being chief cook and bottle washer in a family comes in handy - we get to decide what everyone's going to be eating. And with me in high stress mode, I was craving the Three C's: carbs, cream, and crisp.

Meals that traditionally pack this kind of comforting effect: Crispy fried chicken with creamy mashed potatoes, beer battered deep fried halibut with tartar sauce, or golden fried perogies with creamy mushroom sauce - all foods that held an appeal, but how could I take my craving and turn it into something healthy?

Never underestimate the restorative powers of wandering around your farmer's market or produce section as part of the daily routine. While I wandered and spotted certain ingredients: a little fresh dill here, a few potatoes there, really good quality canned salmon, an idea began to formulate...

What if I made some kind of a crispy, golden salmon and potato hash and served it with apple sauce?

Suddenly dinner was looking promising.

I went home, peeled and quartered my potatoes and set them to boil - asking my husband to turn them off and drain them when they were tender. Then I strapped on my runners and set out into the early spring evening for a 30 minute run.

I returned home refreshed, cooked up this easy dinner, and was ready for a guilt free  zone out by 7:00 pm.

Better still, my husband and I both loved this meal and will absolutely be making it again.

I hope you enjoy!

Crispy Salmon Hash
For printable recipe click HERE

Ingredients
  • 4 russet potatoes
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 1/3 cup Philadelphia Light Cream Cheese
  • 1 Tbsp mayonnaise
  • 1 tsp Dijon mustard
  • 1 Tbsp fresh dill
  • 2 green onions
  • 1 tin sockeye salmon, drained
  • 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
  • salt and pepper to taste
Directions
  1. Peel, cube, and boil the potatoes and 2 cloves of garlic in salted water until tender (app 8-10 minutes)
  2. Drain and mash the potatoes and garlic. Add cream cheese, mayo, mustard, onions, and dill. Stir well until creamy and well incorporated. 
  3. Drain salmon and remove skin and bones. Add to potato mixture and stir well.
  4. Heat olive oil in a large non-stick pan over medium high. Add potato mixture to pan and, using a spatula, flatten like a pancake. Reduce heat to medium and cook about 3 minutes until bottom begins to get golden and crispy. Break salmon mixture up and re-flatten. Continue to repeat this process for about 10- 15 minutes until hash is golden and crispy all the way through. 
  5. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve with apple sauce.
Note: You can also form the salmon into patties and fry in the non stick pan until crispy and golden on both sides.

Author:

Lyndsay Wells is a professional trainer, writer, and program developer with a passion for food and cooking. She is an award winning recipe developer, and a website ambassador for Kraft Foods Canada. Lyndsay believes cooking should be approachable and easy and has great tips and ideas for putting together sophisticated looking dishes that cooks of all levels can accomplish.

Visit her daily on her blog, The Kitchen Witch or on her YouTube Channel, CHARMED With The Kitchen Witch.

Facebook Twitter YouTube


Comments

  1. LYNDS,

    HONESTLY, YER MIND IS LIKE A STEEL TRAP, GAL!

    CONGRATS ON YET ANOTHER SUCCESSFUL ORIGINAL RECIPE!

    WYG!

    TOWANDA!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment