Healthy Mediterranean Style Couscous and Baked Fish

As you can see, I've changed my blog banner and background to reflect summer.

While I love the photograph in my winter banner, it was time to lighten things up - and what better way to do that than to dine outdoors?

The photo was taken a few summers ago in my backyard for an impromptu dinner party featuring ribs and potato salad - I know YUMM!

And I'm super excited with the warm weather approaching to introduce all kinds of creative and original ideas for outdoor entertaining and activities to help inspire you to get the most out of what summer has to offer.

But for today, holidays are still about a month away, and though I would love to spend all morning in my pyjamas, reality dictates that there is work to do and I still have a job.

If you're anything like me, coming home at the end of a hard day means you want something delicious to share with your family for dinner, but also something light and healthy because every day doesn't have to be about butter.

If this is the case and you are trying to lighten things up on weekday nights, then have I got a great dinner idea!

Healthy Mediterranean Style Couscous and Baked Fish
 For Printable Recipe Click here
 
















 Ingredients

Couscous
  • 1 cup couscous
  • 2/3 cup low sodium beef or chicken broth
  • 1 cup chopped spinach
  • 1 diced tomato
  • 1 sliced green onion
  • 1/2 cup sliced black olives
  • 1/4 cup fresh chopped basil
  • 1/4 tsp pepper
Fish
  • any kind of white fish like sole, cod, tilapia, haddock etc
  • 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
  • 1 tsp dried tarragon
  • salt, pepper, and garlic powder 
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 425
  2. Cover a baking sheet with foil and then spoon on the olive oil, red wine vinegar, and tarragon. 
  3. Place fish onto baking sheet and then using a brush, cover fish on both sides with olive oil mixture.
  4. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and garlic powder and bake at 425 until fish reaches your desired doneness. The thinner the piece of fish the less time it will take to bake. Rule of thumb - it should take about 10-15 minutes.
  5. While the fish is cooking, bring the broth and spinach to a boil. Add the couscous and stir well. Remove from heat and cover five minutes. 
  6. Stir the rest of the ingredients into the couscous. Cover and let sit until the fish is ready.

    Comments

    1. LYNDS,

      MY PALLET WOULD NOT B SO "CHALLENGED" IF THE EGG DONOR HAD LEARNED 2 B A BETTER COOK FROM MY NANNY, BUT NANNY AND GRANDPA BOTH WORKED AT TRANS WORLD AIRLINES [TOTALLY DATING MYSELF HERE, I KNOW, BUT THE TRUTH IS THE TRUTH, KNOW WHAT I MEAN, VERN?] SO NANNY DIDN'T HAVE A LOT OF EXTRA TIME BACK IN THE DAY DURING WEEK NIGHTS, AND THE EGG DONOR THOT OF HERSELF AS A REAL LIVE PRINCESS AND THAT SUCH THINGS AS COOKING A DELICIOUS, NUTRITIOUS, AND VARIED SELECTION OF MEALS 4 HER FAMILY OF 4 WAS COMPLETELY BENEATH HER, AND THEY REALLY ONLY TEACH U THE BASICS IN 10TH GRADE HOME EC, BUT I DID THE BEST I COULD WHEN THE CHEF'S HAT WAS SHOVED DOWN ONTO MY HEAD BETWEEN SCHOOL AND HAVING LONG AGO MEMORIZED THE SAME BORING, CHEAP, AND SUPER SIMPLE MEALS WE HAD EVERY WEEK.

      OF COURSE EVERYTHING TASTES BETTER WHEN SOMEONE ELSE IS DOING THE COOKING AND CLEANING UP AFTERWARD, SO MY MEALS PASSED THE TASTE TEST, BUT WE STAYED STUCK IN THE SAME BORING RUT ALL OF MY GROWING UP YEARS, INCLUDING HOLIDAYS AND SPECIAL OCCASIONS THAT WERE NEVER CELEBRATED B/C THEY HAD NO FRIENDS AND OURS WERE NEVER ALLOWED WITHIN 50 FEET OF OUR HOUSE LET ALONE THE KITCHEN TABLE THUS CREATING THE SOCIAL REJECT I REMAIN AT ALMOST 50 YEARS OF AGE.

      YER STUFF LOOKS SO GOOD, LYNDS, AND I'M FINALLY FREE 2 B BRAVE 2 TRY NEW AND DIFFERENT THINGS OUTSIDE OF MY COMFORT ZONE OF WHAT IS 'SAFE' AND INSIDE THE SPECIFIED LINES 2 EAT.

      I SO WISH I LOVED FISH MORE THAN I DO, AS IT IS FAIRLY REASONABLY PRICED AND FROM WHAT U SAY, IS EASY 2 COOK, GOOD 4 ME, AND TASTY 2 BOOT!

      YER 2 YOUNG 2 HAVE BEEN MY MOTHER, BUT OH, DEAR FRIEND, I SO WISH THAT I HAD GROWN UP IN YER KITCHEN!

      THIS RECIPE LOOKS AND SOUNDS LIKE IT'S DA BOMB, AND IF U MADE IT 4 ME I MOST DEFINITELY WOULD GIVE IT A GO, AS IT WERE.

      YET AGAIN, BRAVA, CHEF LYNDSAY AND A HARDY, WAY 2 GO!

      TOWANDA, BABY!

      ReplyDelete

    Post a Comment