Chicken Bacon and Corn Chowder

We've certainly been hit with the weather here in the Pacific Northwest! First snow, and now rain and gale force winds that have our country roads so wet I spotted a duck swimming in a puddle this morning as I drove to the grocery store!

In the meantime, the folks at Recipe to Riches announced on Friday that they had GINORMOUS news to share this week which I'm hoping means there will be a second season for the popular Canadian Food Network show. 

Those who have been around awhile will recall that I was a gold ticket winner last year during the American Idol style auditions and then went on to the short list - only to discover one black Wednesday that I wouldn't be going any further - so a second season would be my ultimate chance at redemption.

Except, holy put the pressure on Batgirl, last year I entered on a lark but this year feels like a much bigger deal. Especially because many, many more Canadian cooks will be aware of the contest thus thickening up the competition.

Tonight I am cooking what I hope will be "the one" - the dish that will get me an audition so that I can present it in Vancouver.

It should be noted that:

(a) This is my fourth attempt at culinary brilliance
(b) Deep frying and me are a lethal combination.
(c) I will not be going anywhere near the dessert category. This is for Canada's sake as much as my own.

In the meantime, it's comfort food Sunday and I have a wonderful recipe for you for Chicken, Bacon, and Corn Chowder. This is not my Recipe to Riches entry, but it did comfort my jangled nerves this chilly weekend.

Tune in to see where we're at with our renovations (ergo: "Damn Girl, your kitchen is a hot mess!"), experience the dulcet tones of my singing voice (no, I will not be singing in every episode of CHARMED), and join me and my unfortunate hair style as I stir up some magic!

 For the printable chowder recipe click HERE



Chicken and Bacon Corn Chowder

Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Serves: 4

Ingredients
  • 5 slices bacon cooked and crumbled
  • 1 large onion diced
  • 2 stalks chopped celery
  • 2 large carrots diced
  • 1 jalapeno pepper diced
  • 1 Tbsp butter
  • 1 Tbsp olive oil
  • 1 Tbsp creole seasoning
  • 4 cups low sodium chicken stock
  • juice of one small lime
  • 2 cans niblets corn
  • 2 large potatoes peeled and diced
  • 4 cloves minced garlic
  • 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
  • hot sauce to taste
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup finely ground cornflake crumbs
  • 1 cup fresh cilantro (optional)
Directions
  1. Heat the butter and olive oil in a large dutch oven at medium high. Add the onions, celery, carrots, chicken, jalapeno pepper, and saute for app. ten minutes until the onion becomes translucent.
  2. Sprinkle on the creole seasoning and mix well to incorporate
  3. Add the chicken stock, lime juice, corn, potatoes, and garlic and bring to a boil. Let simmer for ten minutes.
  4. Scoop one cup of corn, potatoes, carrots, and a little broth out of the pot and blend until smooth with one cup milk. Stir that back into the soup along with the cornflake crumbs. 
  5. Add crumbled bacon. Add hot sauce to taste. Garnish with fresh cilantro if desired.


***

Author:

Lyndsay Wells is a professional trainer, writer, and program developer with a passion for food and cooking. She is an award winning recipe developer, and a website ambassador for Kraft Foods Canada. Lyndsay believes cooking should be approachable and easy and has great tips and ideas for putting together sophisticated looking dishes that cooks of all levels can accomplish.

Visit her daily on her blog, The Kitchen Witch or on her YouTube Channel, CHARMED With The Kitchen Witch.

Facebook Twitter YouTube

Comments