Cream of Broccoli and Gruyere Soup

Remember the Soup Nazi from Seinfeld?



"No soup for you!"

Well I swear, we have our own version in this funky downtown bakery/cafe about 10 k from where I work. The chef owner is a tad on the reclusive side but her soup (and accompanying home made baking) is so good that I often take the ten minute drive and fumble around with downtown parking just get a cup of her liquid gold and a butter tart (or two).

But when I began adding up what I've been paying for my little cup of creamy, cheesy, heaven - not to mention the drive over, it occurred to me there might be a better way.

"Self," I said because that's what I call myself when no one is listening, "You are a food blogger, you cook for comfort and share the shere zippidy doo dah joy of it everyday with people from far and wide. Surely, and given all that, you could come up with your own soup and a brownie or two?"

*Cue the dramatic music*

And that's what inspired me to blog about lunch this week. I'm cheap and I want good soup.

Check out today's step by step how to video to learn how to make this quick and easy (not to mention Soup Nazi worthy) Cream of Broccoli and Gruyere Soup. Prepare the recipe as is or lighten it up with my suggestions in the video.

Click here for the Printable Recipe. 

Ingredients
  •  1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 tbsp butter
  • 1 onion finely diced
  • 2 cloves minced garlic
  • 2 stalks diced celery
  • 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • 3 cups broccoli florets
  • 4 cups low sodium chicken  or vegetable stock
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • 2 cups gruyere cheese
Directions
  1. In a large saucepan, over medium heat, heat the olive oil and butter. When the oil is hot, add the onions, cayenne powder, and celery.
  2. Sauté for 5 minutes, or until they begin to soften. Add broccoli and saute for 3 more minutes. Add the garlic and saute just until fragrant. Add chicken stock and season with salt and black pepper to taste.
  3. Bring the soup to a boil reduce heat and cover, add the cream and simmer another 10 minutes. Puree the soup.
  4. Add a cup and a half of ther the Gruyere cheese. Stir until the cheese is melted. Pour into a soup bowl and top with remaining Gruyere cheese and croutons.
Enjoy!!





***

Author:

Lyndsay Wells is a professional trainer, writer, and program developer with a passion for food and cooking. She is an award winning recipe developer, and a website ambassador for Kraft Foods Canada. Lyndsay believes cooking should be approachable and easy and has great tips and ideas for putting together sophisticated looking dishes that cooks of all levels can accomplish.

Visit her daily on her blog, The Kitchen Witch or on her YouTube Channel, CHARMED With The Kitchen Witch.

Facebook Twitter YouTube

Comments

  1. Replies
    1. The only thing missing, a splash of lemon. My friend Ian mentioned that and I agree with him.

      Delete
  2. Sounds very good. I love trying to replicate recipes at home that I have loved when I dine out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too :-) Have you ever had any disasters? I did once with a squash soup - not good!

      Delete
  3. Oh my, I remember the soup nazi. Hilarious. I am cheap too, Lyndsay...I totatly get ya there!! Thanks for the nice comment at my place on the bananas foster :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the soup nazi episode! Your soup looks absolutely delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment