Banana Chocolate Snack'N Cake

I spent the better part of the weekend in the yard getting our gardens going.

This summer I'm doing salad fixins, herbs, swiss chard, and spinach in my raised beds.

20 pots of tomatoes...















And of course, the ongoing zen of mature herbs.















But with all that work, I developed a ferocious sweet tooth, and with nothing in the house but an assortment of chocolate chips, flour, and eggs, I took a "glass is half full" approach and realized I had the fixins for a Kitchen Witch style Snack'N Cake!













It was so moist, delicious, and full of chocolate that I have decided once and for all to embrace the idea that  I can create delicious dessert recipes!

As an aside, my Monday experts have had a lot to do with this and I will go on record now by saying this cake is, really, an homage to Cindy Jamieson from Hun, What's for Dinner.

*** 

If you're looking for an easy, moist, incredible show stopper of an everyday cake recipe - friends, let me introduce you!


Visit the the printable recipe, here!

Serves: 9
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Baking Time: 45-50 minutes


Ingredients
  • 2 ripe bananas 
  • 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour 
  • 3/4 cup sugar 
  • 1 tsp espresso powder (optional)
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened baking cocoa 
  • 1/3 cup vegetable oil 
  • 1/3 cup sour cream 
  • 1 egg
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda 
  • 1 teaspoon white vinegar 
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt 
  • 1/2 cup each semisweet chocolate chips , butterscoth chips, chopped pecans
Directions
  1. Mix together the flour, espresso powder, baking soda, cocoa powder, and sugar.
  2. In a separate bowl, mash the bananas, add sour cream, egg, vegetable oil, vinegar, and stir. 
  3. Add the dry mix to the wet, stir until everything is incorporated, and then  add butterscotch chips, chocolate chips, and chopped pecans.
  4. Pour into a square 8x8x2 cake pan that has been prepared with parchment paper for easy removal, and bake in a preheated 350 oven for 45-50 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
  5. Let rest at least an hour before removing from the cake pan. 
**Tip for preparing a pan with parchment: Lightly grease the sides and bottoms of the pan or spray with cooking spray before adding the parchment paper. This will help it better adhere to the pan.

Happy baking!




 Subscribe to me on YouTube

Bring the daily magic of The Kitchen Witch straight to your inbox every time a new one is written.


Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner

Or you can subscribe by rss feed...


Subscribe in a reader

Comments

  1. This looks delicious--and, well-deserved I'd say. Hope you'll share photos of the gardens as they mature.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. yum! this sounds wonderful, sounds like your garden is off to a great start! Lovely photos too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am definitely going to bake this one. I remembered that Snackin' Cake was a staple when my two girls were little and they were always thrilled when it was either in their lunch bags or waiting when they returned from school. I know that cute guy I married will love it and love you for sharing it. I love the look of the garden - I live in an inner city townhouse but have a lovely patch of ground right outside the kitchen door where I grow all kinds of herbs in pots and often have a few veggies in the mix as well. Cheers from the west coast of Canada - ...barby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barby, where are you from on the West Coast? I'm on Vancouver Island and would be proud to be another Lana!! xo

      Delete

Post a Comment