The Canadian Food Experience Project - Pudding Chomeur - A French Canadian Delight!

I experienced Pudding Chomeur or "Poor Man's Pudding" at the home of my friend Raymonde about 12 years ago. The occasion was a book club dinner that brings a group of dear friends together once a month to discuss a book, share a glass or two of wine, and enjoy what is always a memorable feast.

We've been getting together since October, 1998 and our very first book was "She's Come Undone" by Wally Lamb. I served dinner at my place - roast beef with Yorkshire Puddings and my mom's recipe for apple crisp.

In the years since, we've read well over 150 books and have added new recipes to our cook's arsenals - like today's recipe for Pudding Chomeur for the Canadian Food Experience Project.

When I tasted this family recipe passed down from Raymonde's mother in Gerrardville Quebec, I knew this traditional dish was going to become my family's Christmas dessert - and it also proves my theory that the very best recipes are the old time ones.

This fudgy, gorgeous masterpiece is so simple to put together and is made with ingredients most people always have on hand - but when served hot with a big dollop of vanilla ice cream it's as good a dessert as any I've had in the best restaurants.

If you've never tried Pudding Chomeur, I hope this post will inspire you to give it a go and, I promise, you won't be disappointed!

Please enjoy my easy to follow step by step video.
The printable recipe can be found here: Pudding Chomeur




Prep Time: 5 minutes
Bake Time: 35 minutes
Serves: 6

Sauce Ingredients
  • 2 cups brown sugar
  • 1 1/4 cup water
  • 3 tbsp butter
  • Boil for two minutes
Cake Ingredients
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 tbsp shortening or butter
  • 1 beaten egg
  • 1/3 cup milk
Directions
  1. Beat all the cake ingredients together and put in the bottom of greased square 8x8 cake pan.
  2. Pour the sauce evenly over top of the cake. Bake at 350 for 35 minutes. The sauce will turn to a creamy fudgy layer onthe  bottom of cake. Slice and scoop with a spatula making sure to get lots of caramel sauce.
  3. Serve warm with ice cream.
Cooks Note
The recipe can be made the day ahead and then re-heated for ten minutes at 350 just before serving.



***

Author:

Lyndsay Wells is a professional trainer, writer, and program developer with a passion for food and cooking. She is an award winning recipe developer, and a website ambassador for Kraft Foods Canada. Lyndsay believes cooking should be approachable and easy and has great tips and ideas for putting together sophisticated looking dishes that cooks of all levels can accomplish.

Visit her daily on her blog, The Kitchen Witch or on her YouTube Channel, CHARMED With The Kitchen Witch.

Facebook Twitter YouTube

Comments

  1. I make a chocolate version of this and we call it Down in the dumps pudding, I have always wanted a carmelly version and now I have it!! Thanks so much for posting this!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh! I want to make Down in the Dumps pudding!! Laurie, can you share the recipe?

      Delete

Post a Comment