Best Ever Homemade Beet Soup (Borscht)

As the air grows warmer, the gardener in me becomes excited about having an abundance of fresh ingredients on hand to create magic with. Those who have been around the blog awhile know that summer is my favourite time of year - not only do I get five weeks off this year, I will be spending the majority of my time in another darling little Kitchen Witch cabin by the sea aptly named "Karma" where big V and I will be boiling crabs, scouring the landscape for edible treasures and grilling up a summer storm!

Until then, though, my yen for fresh ingredients grows ever stronger and in the spirit of that I had to share one of my All TIME (and I don't say that lightly) recipes for beet soup - also known as borscht.


Quite honestly, this is one of the best soups I make - find out why all my friends request it!

Visit the printable recipe here: Borscht

Please enjoy my easy to follow step by step video.




Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes

Ingredients
  • 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 medium white onion, diced
  • 1/2 cup diced pancetta or bacon
  • 3-5 baby beets (one bunch) 
  • 10 baby red potatoes, quartered
  • 1/2 tsp paprika
  • 1 tsp sea salt
  • 1 tsp minced garlic
  • 1/4 tsp black pepper
  • 5 cups low or no sodium chicken stock
  • 1 tbsp white vinegar
  • 125 grams (4 oz - half an 8 oz tub) dill flavoured cream cheese
Directions
  1. Remove stems and leaves from beets. Separate the stems from the leaves, dice the stems small. Chiffonade the leaves.
  2. Saute the pancetta, onions, and beet stems in extra virgin olive oil over medium high until the pancetta is cooked. Add the salt, pepper, garlic, paprika, beets and potatoes. Cover with the chicken stock and cover and keep at a simmering boil for app 25  minutes until the beets are soft. During the last five minutes of cooking add the beet greens and 1 tbsp white vinegar.
  3. Add 1/2 cup of dill cream cheese, stir well, and serve.
Author:

Lyndsay Wells is a professional trainer, writer, and program developer with a passion for food and cooking. She is an award winning recipe developer, and a website ambassador for Kraft Foods Canada. Lyndsay believes cooking should be approachable and easy and has great tips and ideas for putting together sophisticated looking dishes that cooks of all levels can accomplish.

Visit her daily on her blog, The Kitchen Witch or on her YouTube Channel, CHARMED With The Kitchen Witch.

Facebook Twitter YouTube



Comments