Oven Baked Fish Stick (McNugget) Recipe

Here's the thing - and those of you who've been following the Kitchen Witch for awhile now already know I tend to live my life in two cycles: hibernation and beastmode. When in beastmode I'm eating healthy, exercising on the daily, drinking tons of water, taking my vitamins and, you know, being a bastion of total health and fabulousity.

But as the adage "what goes up must come down" promises, my dalliances with an athletic lifestyle never seem to last. That said, I'm embarrassed to admit even to you that my last foray into the world of the fit and fabulous was in 2011 when I lost 20 pounds on Weight Watchers and ran a half marathon.



Every good marathoner should relax with a glass of wine after a big race!













The above picture was taken after my triumphant crossing of the finish line and even though one of the attendants asked if I needed medical attention, I knew, verily that red wine was the only medicine for me. So I had that and a honkin big plate of pasta with cream sauce. I had just run for my life, after all.

I continued to jog in the evenings, albeit slowly, and ate whatever the heck I wanted because *ahem* I WAS exercising so that even though my run times grew shorter and spaced further and further apart, it never occurred to me that my 20 pounds was creeping back.

This summer when the PB and I went for our west coast adventure, and despite the fact we hiked every day, an abundance of alcohol, potato chips, ice cream, and bacon had me feeling like a Sumo Wrestler by the time we got home. And so I faced my fear:  I pulled my scale from its hiding place under a stack of towels in the bathroom cupboard and began the delicate procedure of weighing myself.

This involved the divestment of all clothing, foot wear, and jewelry and  then gingerly stepping onto the scale while simultaneously gripping the bathroom counter top. My weight, which began at 140 pounds in full grip, slowly climbed as I gradually loosened my hold on the counter.

And then... "Holy Mother of God!"

That's what I weighed: Holy Mother of God!

And yes, that is a number. I'm just not telling you what one.

That was five weeks ago and I'm happy to report, that I'm back to beastmode and am now down 15 pounds from HMOG. Part of that is due to the fact I'm running again, and the other is because I'm no longer eating like I'm on a cruise 365 days of the year.

Which brings me to today's recipe for Home Made Fish McNuggets.







These panko covered nuggets of crispy fabulousity are quick and easy to make and will be sure to quench your thirst for something deep fried if you ever get a yen for such things.

Visit the printable recipe here: Fish McNuggets

Better still, cook along with me in the Kitchen Witch cottage with my step by step recipe video.




Homemade Fish McNuggets Recipe

Ingredients
  • 1 large egg, lightly beaten
  • 1/2 tsp each sea salt and pepper
  • 2 cups whole wheat Panko breadcrumbs
  • 1 tbsp Creole Seasoning
  • 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 1/2 pounds cod fillets cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces
  • 1/2 cup light mayonnaise
  • 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
  • 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
  • 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, plus lemon wedges for serving
  • 2 teaspoons prepared white horseradish or Wasabi paste
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 475. Line a baking sheet with foil, spray with PAM; set aside.
  2. Place egg in a wide shallow bowl; season with salt and pepper. In another bowl, combine Panko, Creole seasoning, and oil. 
  3. Dip each cod nugget into the egg, then into the Panko mixture, pressing to adhere. Place on prepared baking sheets.
  4. Bake until lightly browned, for ten minutes, turning once. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, stir together the mayonnaise, parsley, mustard, lemon juice, and horseradish; season with salt and pepper. Serve with sauce and lemon wedges on the side. 

About Lyndsay the Kitchen Witch

Lyndsay Wells is a professional trainer, writer, and program developer with a passion for food and cooking. She is an award winning recipe developer, and a website ambassador for Kraft Foods Canada. Lyndsay believes cooking should be approachable and easy and has great tips and ideas for putting together sophisticated looking dishes that cooks of all levels can accomplish.

Visit her on her blog, The Kitchen Witch or on her YouTube Channel where she puts out three new cooking videos each week.


Facebook Twitter YouTube

Comments

  1. See! Here you are making fish again which I love but cannot seem to make right. Only 10 minutes? I am going to try this.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment