Provencal Tuna and Tomatoes ~The Kitchen Witch~ Tuna and Tomato Sauce for Pasta and Rice

Happy belated New Year to all the friends and fans of the Kitchen Witch! I hope you had a wonderful holiday season and are embracing the New Year with happiness and passion. There's something about January that lifts my spirits - maybe its because the sun comes out more this month - but mostly because I get excited about all the new experiences I'm going to have this year. And all the new people I'm going to meet.

I know as I type this that there are friends I haven't met yet just waiting to come into my life and soul changing experiences down the road and around the corner that I will have this year just as you will too!

On the way there, though, we've got to eat right? And you know I'm all about flavour. Which is why I'm super excited to share my latest easy, healthy, budget friendly recipe - this time from the pantry!

 Albacore tuna is simmered in a briny olive infused tomato sauce with a bite of heat and a hint of cinnamon. The flavour combinations just pop in the mouth making this a restaurant quality meal that won't break the bank or your belt buckle :-)

Join me this week in the Kitchen Witch Cottage and cook along with me or visit the printable recipe
here: PROVENCAL TUNA AND TOMATOES



Ingredients
  • 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 white onion, diced
  • 3 cloves chopped garlic
  • 1 tsp paprika
  • 1 tsp chili powder
  • 1/2 tsp thyme
  • 1/2  tsp red chili pepper flakes (reduce to 1/4 if you like less heat)
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 tin albacore tuna
  • 1/2 cup sliced pimento stuffed green olives
  • 1/2 cup red wine
  • 1 tin diced tomatoes
  •  1/2 tsp sea salt
  • 1 bay leaf
Directions
  1. Saute the onion in the olive oil over medium high heat until the onion is soft and translucent.
  2. Add the garlic and spices and continue to saute, stirring constantly, about a minute until fragrant.
  3. Add the tuna with its water and the olives and stir well to combine with the other ingredients.
  4. Add the red wine and let reduce by half.
  5. Add the tinned tomatoes, salt, and bay leaf.
  6. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes. 
  7. Serve family style ladled over rice. 

Author:

Lyndsay Wells is a professional trainer, writer, and program developer with a passion for food and cooking. She is an award winning recipe developer, a former website ambassador for Kraft Foods Canada, the $20,000.00 winner of the online competition "The Real Women of Philadelphia" and a finalist on the Food Network Canada show Recipe to Riches. Lyndsay believes cooking should be approachable and easy and has great tips and ideas for putting together sophisticated looking dishes that cooks of all levels can accomplish. 

Comments