Bangers and Mash with Apples, Green Beans, and Onions

There's something about Autumn that makes me want to strap on a feed bag and dive into mounds of mashed potatoes. It's like the weather begins to change and my body says: "We need to up your fat stores for the winter."

Can anyone else relate?

The thing is, though, I did so well last winter maintaining and not gaining that I want to keep the momentum alive while continuing enjoy my life. I know that sounds drastic, but I'm a cook and a foodie who also works really hard, long hours and wants to come home to beautiful meals featuring whatever it is I might be craving at the time.

In other words, life is too short for deprivation - for me anyways - and so that's where recipe development comes in. I've learned over the years that just about anything can be made into a healthier version of the original. For example, many recipes call for more oil than you actually need for sauteing - especially if you have a good non-stick pan. And the way you cook your dish, can also make a difference.

So today I'm going to share my healthy (er) version of Bangers and Mash!



















To make this iconic dish leaner and healthier I did a few things...

First, I purchased my sausages at the butcher shop so that I knew I was buying excellent quality, fresh, local sausages and then instead of doing them up in a frying pan, I poked holes in them and roasted them on a rack in a hot oven. Roasting on a rack this way helped release some of the additional fat without losing anything on flavour. And, using my method, you get a gorgeous crispy exterior.

Next, I decided to forgo the gravy and instead do a topping with apples, green beans, and onions. I knew the flavours would go beautifully together and that the fruit and veggies would add all kinds of additional nutrition and fibre to the dish.

Finally, I whipped up my mashed potatoes with chicken stock instead of butter and cream. This is a great way to enjoy mashed potatoes without all the additional calories. The chicken stock adds gorgeous flavour and with all that lusciousness from the sausages, apple, and green beans, you won't miss the butter.

This is an incredibly delicious rendition of Bangers and Mash, so if you try it, let me know! As well, be sure to subscribe to follow this blog, and follow me on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, and Youtube.

I upload two new recipe blogs and videos a week!

Visit the printable recipe here: Bangers and Mash
Or cook along with me at the Casa de Kitchen Witch on Youtube!




Bangers and Mash
  
Ingredients
  • 4-6 Bratwurst Sausages
  • 1 medium white onion cut into thin rings 
  • 2 cups green beans, trimmed and cut in half
  • 2 large tart apples (like the honey crisp) cored, peeled, and diced 
  • 1/4 tsp herbes de provence, or thyme 
  • 1 clove minced garlic
  • 1/4 cup apple wine, apple cider, or apple juice
  • 1 cup chicken stock 
  • 1 Tbsp butter
Directions
  1. Saute the onion, apple, and green beans in a medium non stick pan sprayed with PAM or olive oil over medium high heat until the onions are caramelized, the beans begin to go tender, and the apples are soft and golden.
  2. Add the herbes de provence, wine, and garlic and stir until the wine has almost evaporated.
  3. Add the chicken stock, reduce heat, and simmer until the liquid reduces by 3/4.
  4. Turn the heat to low, add the butter, put a lid on the pan, and let the sauce sit on low while you roast the brats. 
  5. Pre-heat the oven to 400. 
  6. Poke holes in both sides of the brats using a fork and place on a roasting rack over a baking sheet. Roast for 30 minutes, turning once and then place under the broiler for 5 minutes a side until crispy. 
  7. Add the brats back to the pan and smother them in all that apple goodness.
  8. Serve over your favourite mashed potatoes. (I like to lighten mine up by mashing with chicken stock instead of cream and butter) 
  9. Spoon even amounts of the apples and beans over each.


Author:

Lyndsay Wells is a professional trainer, writer, and program developer with a passion for food and cooking. She is an award winning recipe developer, a former website ambassador for Kraft Foods Canada, the $20,000.00 winner of the online competition "The Real Women of Philadelphia" and a finalist on the Food Network Canada show Recipe to Riches. Lyndsay believes cooking should be approachable and easy and has great tips and ideas for putting together sophisticated looking dishes that cooks of all levels can accomplish.   




Comments

  1. I am trying this tonight!! Looks great so far! It smells delicious. Thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment