Baked Chicken Taquitos

Happy New Year everyone!! After a fabulous Christmas (and lots of incredible meals) I'm ready to jump feet first back into my life and back into the world of cooking, writing, and making videos - all the while having to navigate everything with a full time career, husband, and an attention seeking dog.

That said, I'll be continuing on my path toward making delicious dishes healthy(er) while I embrace my inner Ninja in and out of the kitchen. To get things started for the New Year I've resurrected a tried and true, super easy recipe from the past for Baked Chicken Taquitos.


I didn't come up with this one myself - in fact, I don't remember where I first saw this recipe - but I've added some of my own flair to it by poaching the chicken in Siracha and spices and oh! What a difference this little Kitchen Ninja move makes!!

These are super crunchy and crispy with flavour galore and because they're baked, not fried, you can go ahead and eat them knowing you're doing something nice for yourself and for your family. Serve with a a side salad and sparkling water and if you try this recipe, please let me know! I love hearing from people who have tried my food!

As well, be sure to subscribe to follow this blog, and follow me on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, and Youtube. I upload new recipe blog and video every week week! 

Visit the printable recipe here: Baked Chicken Taquitos

Or cook along with me at the Casa de Kitchen Witch on Youtube!




Baked Chicken Taquitos
Wonderful as a meal or an appetizer!


Ingredients
  • 1/3 c. (3 oz) light cream cheese, softened to room temperature
  • 1/4 c. salsa
  • 1 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
  • 1/2 tsp. cumin
  • 1 tsp. chili powder
  • 1/2 tsp. onion salt
  • 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
  • 3 Tbsp. chopped cilantro (optional)
  • 2 Tbsp. sliced green onions
  • 2 c. shredded cooked chicken (I poach mine in water with a drizzle of Siracha Sauce, 1 tsp of minced garlic, 1/8 tsp of cumin, and a little salt for this recipe)
  • 1 shredded cheese
  • 8 Flour Tortillas (soft taco size)
  • Coarse Sea Salt
  • Extra virgin olive oil or cooking spray
Directions
  1. Heat oven to 425 degrees. Lightly coat baking sheet with extra virgin olive oil or cooking spray.
  2. Stir the cream cheese, salsa, lime juice, cumin, chili powder, onion powder, and garlic to combine, then add the cilantro and green onions.
  3. Add the chicken and cheese and combine well. You can prepare up to this step ahead of time, just store the mixture in the fridge
  4. Lay all the tortillas out and equally distribute the chicken mixture among them on the lower 1/3 of the tortilla, about 1/2 in. from the edge.
  5. Roll it up tightly. You can also cut these into smaller segments to make into appetizers. Lay all the taquitos seam side down and make sure they are not touching each other. Cover tightly, label and freeze at this point if doing as a make ahead. Thaw on counter before baking.
  6. When ready to bake, spray the tops lightly with cooking spray or brush the tops lightly with extra virgin olive oil, and sprinkle some kosher salt on top.
  7. Place the baking sheet in the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes turning once at the halfway point or until crisp and the edges start to get golden brown.
  8. Dip them in salsa, sour cream, or guacamole. 


Author:

Lyndsay Wells is a professional trainer, writer, and program developer with a passion for food and cooking. She is an award winning recipe developer, a former website ambassador for Kraft Foods Canada, the $20,000.00 winner of the online competition "The Real Women of Philadelphia" and a finalist on the Food Network Canada show Recipe to Riches. Lyndsay believes cooking should be approachable and easy and has great tips and ideas for putting together sophisticated looking dishes that cooks of all levels can accomplish.

Comments