Tender chicken cooked in a velvety coconut broth was served family style with big bowls of rice. As I often do when eating something delicious, I put my palette to work and picked out flavours like fresh ginger, garlic, and cilantro.
And utilizing both white and dark meat in this recipe added a depth of flavour to the broth that was so close to the original I just had to share the recipe. In other words, this is amazingly good!
Please enjoy my easy to follow step by step video.
Visit the printable recipe here: Thai Style Coconut Chicken with Rice
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
- 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp minced fresh ginger
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 3 Tbsp Thai green curry paste (I use Thai Kitchen brand)
- 1/2 tsp chile pepper flakes (reduce to 1/4 tsp if you like it less hot)
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- 3/4 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1 400 ml tin coconut milk
- 1 cup of fresh chopped cilantro
- 1 tbsp fresh squeezed lemon or lime
- 1 tsp of sea salt to finish
- Cooked Jasmine rice
- 2 cups steamed broccoli or other green vegetable like spinach, kale, or Bok Choy
- Sprinkle the chicken pieces on both sides with salt and pepper
- Heat the olive oil in a large shallow sauce pan or skillet over medium high and saute the ginger, garlic, green curry paste, and chiles stirring constantly for 1 minute.
- Add the onions and continue to saute an additional 2 minutes until they begin to soften. Adjust the heat if pan too hot.
- Add the chicken and brown on each side (about 2 minutes per side) moving around and stirring so nothing burns.
- Pour the chicken stock and coconut milk over all and stir well to incorporate. Bring to the boil, add the cilantro, reduce heat to medium low, cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Stir in the fresh lime juice and additional sea salt.
- Serve family style at the table with the rice, vegetables, and the chicken broth in large separate bowls with serving spoons.
- Dish up by placing rice, and steamed broccoli into a soup bowl. Ladle generous amounts of chicken and broth over top.
- The dish is nice served with chopped cashews, additional chopped fresh cilantro, and quarted lime wedges for garnish.
Lyndsay Wells is a professional trainer, writer, and program developer with a passion for food and cooking. She is an award winning recipe developer, and a website ambassador for Kraft Foods Canada. Lyndsay believes cooking should be approachable and easy and has great tips and ideas for putting together sophisticated looking dishes that cooks of all levels can accomplish.
Visit her daily on her blog, The Kitchen Witch or on her YouTube Channel, CHARMED With The Kitchen Witch.