Ground turkey has long been a favourite protein of mine. It is low in fat, tastes great, and can be stretched to make a great meal.
And coconut milk!
Sometimes demonized by the world of food and nutrition as unhealthy, coconut milk and the fat it contains is now being deemed by researchers as one of the essential fatty acids along with omega 3 and 6 which is good news for all of us living a heart healthy lifestyle!
Put that together with a handful of seasonal vegetables and spices and you have my recipe for Ground Turkey Curry. An easy and delicious dish the whole family will love!
Cook along with my easy to follow step by step video
Ground Turkey Curry
Printable recipe here
- 1 pound ground turkey (can also use ground chicken or ground beef)
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cups diced vegetables (like carrots or broccoli) or throw in 1 cup of fruit like grapes, apple, or mandarin oranges.
- 1 can coconut milk
- 2 Tbsp green curry paste
- 1/3 cup low sodium chicken stock
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp Asian chili garlic sauce
- fresh cilantro or basil to garnish (optional)
- 1 cup basmati rice
- Saute onions and vegetables over medium high heat in a non stick pan sprayed lightly with olive oil or Pam until the onions soften and begin to go translucent.
- Add the meat and continue to saute until the meat is cooked through and beginning to turn golden brown.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add the green curry paste and coconut milk and stir until well incorporated.
- Add the chicken stock, brown sugar, and chili garlic sauce. Bring to a boil, and then turn down and simmer, stirring occasionally for 20 minutes (if you're using fruit, add it at this point) while you cook your rice.
- Cook rice in two cups water following the package directions.
- Serve the curry over cooked rice and enjoy! Garnish with a little fresh cilantro or basil for added colour and flavour.
Lyndsay Wells is a professional trainer, writer, and program developer with a passion for food and cooking. She is an award winning recipe developer, a former website ambassador for Kraft Foods Canada, the $20,000.00 winner of the online competition "The Real Women of Philadelphia" and a finalist on the Food Network Canada show Recipe to Riches. Lyndsay believes cooking should be approachable and easy and has great tips and ideas for putting together sophisticated looking dishes that cooks of all levels can accomplish.