During the summer I like to grill my fish - as evidenced by the large number of grilled fish recipes on this website - but come Autumn it's all about comfort for me, and what could be more comforting than a chowder?
The good news is, you can have comfort without the fat and calories.
Today's chowder is made unctuous and creamy with low fat cream cheese instead of butter and cream and, I have to tell you, it's absolutely delicious!
This one's a staple on my fall and winter dinner rotation - I hope you enjoy!
Easy Salmon Chowder
Printable recipe here
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
- 3 fist sized salmon filets, skin removed, cut into chunks
- 1/2 diced onion
- 2 medium potatoes diced into 1x1 inch squares
- 1 large diced carrot
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 tsp Old Bay seasoning
- 1 tsp creole seasoning
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- 1 tbsp dried dill
- 1/2 cup Philadelphia Cream Cheese light
- Saute the onion and salmon in a large soup pot in extra virgin olive oil over medium high just until the salmon begins to turn colour.
- Add the potatoes, carrots, Old Bay seasoning, creole seasoning, and stir.
- Pour the chicken stock over all, add the dill and the vinegar and bring to the boil, turn down slightly, cover, and continue to simmer at the boil until the potatoes are tender (about 12 minutes)
- Turn to low and stir in the cream cheese until smooth.
Lyndsay Wells is a professional trainer, writer, and program developer with a passion for food and cooking. She is an award winning recipe developer, and a website ambassador for Kraft Foods Canada. Lyndsay believes cooking should be approachable and easy and has great tips and ideas for putting together sophisticated looking dishes that cooks of all levels can accomplish.
Visit her daily on her blog, The Kitchen Witch or on her YouTube Channel, CHARMED With The Kitchen Witch.