I'll be away from my office the entire month of July and I can hardly wait because I'll not only be cooking, I'll be throwing myself into what I like to do best - looking after my home, decorating, and creating everyday magic...
It's been quite a year!
The bread baking, pastry cutting, and freezer cooking I did in the Fall conjure up happy memories of crisp cool air, and vibrant coulors, as I prepared for the cold weather ahead.
December found me cookie making, decorating, soup stirring, and turkey planning - bringing new life, borderline neurotic tendencies (I may be the newly appointed Kitchen Witch - but I am still me) and warm comfort to myself and my family during this year's cold and snowy winter.
And my return to healthier eating and fitness in February and March added up to more energy and feelings of well being as winter turned to spring.
But I'm the most excited about the next couple of months.
Summer for me is all about the herbs, flowers, fruits, and vegetables which grow in abundance in our gardens.
Years ago, I read a book called Practical Magic by Alice Hoffman and I was completely enchanted.
Her story about two sisters living in a rambling old Victorian house with lush gardens full of such magical wonders as lemon verbena, lavender, and chamomile, set my imagination ablaze and I knew that I would one day have a garden like that of my own.
Over time it slowly manifests itself.
This summer I look forward to red ripe juicy tomatoes, fat purple blueberries, sweet raspberries and succulent strawberries, along with an abundance of herbs, vegetables, and other greenery.
The other thing I love about summer is that many of its most wonderful meals are quick and easy to prepare like this WINNER of a recipe for a gorgeous weeknight supper:
Shrimp Lemon Pepper Linguini
For Printable Recipe click HERE
- 1 (8 ounce) package linguine or spaghetti pasta
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound fresh shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/4 cup salted butter
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh herbs (I use rosemary, and thyme but basil is also very good )
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta, and cook for 7 minutes or until al dente; drain.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat, and saute garlic about 1 minute. Mix in chicken broth, wine, lemon juice, lemon zest, salt, and pepper. Reduce heat, and simmer until liquid is reduced by about 1/2.
- Mix shrimp, butter, parsley, and herbs into the saucepan. Cook 2 to 3 minutes, until shrimp is opaque. Stir in the cooked linguine, and continue cooking 2 minutes, until well coated.
I hope you'll try this one because it truly is...
From my kitchen to yours, here's to the creation of everyday magic...
Bring the daily magic of The Kitchen Witch straight to your inbox every time a new one is written.
Or you can subscribe by rss feed...
Subscribe in a reader